Current:Home > reviewsMaui judge’s ruling bars insurers from going after defendants who agreed to $4B wildfire settlement -WealthMindset Learning
Maui judge’s ruling bars insurers from going after defendants who agreed to $4B wildfire settlement
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 10:55:52
HONOLULU (AP) — A Maui judge’s ruling Tuesday resolves a critical roadblock to finalizing a $4 billion wildfire settlement: Insurance companies who have paid out more than $2 billion in claims can seek reimbursement only from the settlement amount defendants fire victims blame for causing the deadly tragedy have agreed to pay.
Lawyers representing plaintiffs in hundreds of lawsuits over the deaths and destruction caused by the fires asked the judge to bar insurers from bringing independent legal action to recoup the money paid to policyholders. Preventing insurers from going after the defendants is a key settlement term.
The settlement was reached earlier this month, days before the one-year anniversary of the the fires, amid fears that Hawaiian Electric, the power company that some blame for sparking the blaze, could be on the brink of bankruptcy. Other defendants include Maui County and large landowners.
The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is investigating the Aug. 8, 2023, fires that killed 102 people, destroyed the historic downtown area of Lahaina, burned thousands of homes and displaced 12,000 people.
Plaintiff lawyers were worried allowing insurers to pursue reimbursement separately would be a deal-breaker, drain what is available to pay fire victims and lead to prolonged litigation.
A group of more than 160 property and casualty insurers that have so far paid more than $2.34 billion to people and businesses devastated by the fires remained as holdouts to the settlement.
Insurer lawyers argued in court filings that what they called the rush to push through a settlement deprives the insurers of their due process.
The insurance industry has been unfairly demonized while those responsible for the fires won’t be held accountable, Vincent Raboteau, an attorney representing the insurers, told the judge.
“And we’re not arguing to be first in line for anything,” he said. “It’s always been our position that individual plaintiffs should get the lion’s share.”
After the hearing, Raboteau declined to comment on Cahill’s ruling and wouldn’t say whether they plan to seek review of Cahill’s ruling by the Hawaii Supreme Court.
Jake Lowenthal, an attorney selected as one of four liaisons for the coordination of the plaintiffs’ lawsuits, said they are heartened by Cahill’s ruling.
“This is going to be a critical part in reaching a final resolution of everyone’s claims as well as resolving the insurance companies’ potential rights of reimbursement,” he said.
veryGood! (54982)
Related
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Syria protests spurred by economic misery stir memories of the 2011 anti-government uprising
- 2020 US Open champ Dominic Thiem provides hope to seemingly deteriorating tennis career
- Authorities identify husband as killer in ‘Lady of the Dunes’ cold case
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Six St. Louis inmates face charges stemming from abduction of jail guard
- Meghan Markle’s Hidden “Something Blue” Wedding Dress Detail Revealed 5 Years Later
- FEMA changes wildfire compensation rules for New Mexicans impacted by last year’s historic blaze
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Convicted ex-Ohio House speaker moved to Oklahoma prison to begin his 20-year sentence
Ranking
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Jessie James Decker Shares Pregnancy Reaction After Husband Eric's Vasectomy Didn't Happen
- Cardinals QB shakeup: Kyler Murray to start season on PUP list, Colt McCoy released
- 'Claim to Fame' winner Gabriel Cannon on 'unreal' victory, identifying Chris Osmond
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Former NFL player Marshawn Lynch gets November trial date in Las Vegas DUI case
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra announces dates for their yearly winter tour with 104 shows
- Missouri law banning minors from beginning gender-affirming treatments takes effect
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
There's a labor shortage in the U.S. Why is it so hard for migrants to legally work?
NYPD warns it has zero tolerance for drones at the US Open
Patrick Mahomes' Kansas City penthouse condo up for sale
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Loch Ness monster hunters join largest search of Scottish lake in 50 years
Pope Francis blasts backwards U.S. conservatives, reactionary attitude in U.S. church
Benches clear twice in an inning as Rays hand Yankees another series defeat