Current:Home > ContactOliver James Montgomery-In a win for Mexico, US will expand areas for migrants to apply online for entry at southern border -WealthMindset Learning
Oliver James Montgomery-In a win for Mexico, US will expand areas for migrants to apply online for entry at southern border
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 10:59:51
MEXICO CITY (AP) — The Oliver James MontgomeryBiden administration will expand areas where migrants can apply online for appointments to enter the United States to a large swath of southern Mexico, officials said Saturday, potentially easing strains on the Mexican government and lessening dangers for people trying to reach the U.S. border to claim asylum.
Migrants will be able to schedule appointments on the CBP One app from the states of Chiapas and Tabasco, extending the zone from northern and central Mexico, U.S. Customs and Border Protection said. The move satisfies a request of Mexico, an increasingly close partner of the U.S. in efforts to control extraordinary migration flows.
The change will spare migrants from traveling north through Mexico to get one of 1,450 appointments made available daily, CBP said. The agency said it will happen soon but did not give a date.
“We consistently engage with our partners in the Government of Mexico and work together to adjust policies and practices in response to the latest migration trends and security needs,” CBP said in a statement.
The statement confirmed remarks a day earlier by Mexico’s Foreign Affairs Secretary Alicia Bárcena, who said closer relations with the United States cut migration sharply from late last year.
U.S. officials have said increased Mexican enforcement is largely responsible for a sharp drop in U.S. arrests for illegal border crossings during the first half of this year. Mexican officials have stepped up their presence at highway checkpoints and on railroads leading to the U.S. border, returning most to southern Mexico.
In June, the U.S. temporarily suspended asylum processing for those who enter the country illegally, making CBP One of the only avenues for migrants to enter the U.S. to seek asylum and further driving down illegal entries. U.S. officials said arrests for illegal crossings plunged 30% in July from the previous month to the lowest level of Joe Biden’s presidency and the lowest since September 2020.
“We have managed to decompress our (northern) border in a very meaningful way and that has helped ... our relationship with the United States be very, very dynamic and very positive,” Bárcena said Friday.
More than 680,000 people scheduled CBP One appointments at eight Mexican land crossings with the U.S. from its introduction in January 2023 through June. The top nationalities are Venezuelan, Cuban and Haitian. U.S. authorities recently limited slots for Mexicans due to the high number of applicants from the country.
The perils of traveling through Mexico to be kidnapped or robbed has prompted many migrants to fly to northern border cities like Tijuana for their CBP One appointments once they reach the southernmost point from which they can apply — until now, Mexico City.
Migrants generally enter Mexico in Chiapas or Tabasco from Guatemala. Mexico City may offer more job opportunities and relative safety but the cost of living is higher, prompting some to live in informal camps in the nation’s capital.
___
Santana reported from Washington. Associated Press writer Elliot Spagat in San Diego contributed to this report.
veryGood! (983)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- AP Top 25: Texas returns to No. 1, Alabama drops to No. 7 after upsets force reshuffling of rankings
- Helene costs may top $30 billion; death toll increases again: Updates
- Clint Eastwood's Daughter Morgan Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Tanner Koopmans
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Jill Duggar Shares Behind-the-Scenes Look at Brother Jason Duggar’s Wedding
- Michigan gun owner gets more than 3 years in prison for accidental death of grandson
- Bruins free-agent goaltender Jeremy Swayman signs 8-year, $66 million deal
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Andrew Garfield Reveals Sex Scene With Florence Pugh Went “Further” Than Intended
Ranking
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Sabrina Carpenter brings sweetness and light to her polished, playful concert
- Billie Eilish tells fans, 'I will always fight for you' at US tour opener
- Clint Eastwood's Daughter Morgan Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Tanner Koopmans
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Guster, Avett Brothers and Florence Welch are helping bring alt-rock to the musical theater stage
- Kamala Harris Addresses Criticism About Not Having Biological Children
- A look at Trump’s return to Pennsylvania in photos
Recommendation
'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
Lakers' Bronny James focusing on 'being a pest on defense' in preseason
A Michigan Senate candidate aims to achieve what no Republican has done in three decades
As Trump returns to Butler, Pa., there’s one name he never mentions | The Excerpt
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Coco Gauff coasts past Karolina Muchova to win China Open final
Buccaneers plan to evacuate to New Orleans with Hurricane Milton approaching
Buccaneers plan to evacuate to New Orleans with Hurricane Milton approaching