Current:Home > FinanceDeath of woman following attacks on North Carolina power stations ruled a homicide -WealthMindset Learning
Death of woman following attacks on North Carolina power stations ruled a homicide
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 12:02:07
The death of a woman that occurred after firearm attacks on power substations caused a massive power outage last year has been ruled a homicide, newly released autopsy records show.
Karin Zoanelli, 87, was found unresponsive in her home in Moore County, North Carolina, on the night of Dec. 3, 2022, following the power outage, according to records released by the state's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.
Zoanelli's husband told police his wife was having difficulty breathing that night and he woke up to find she had fallen on the floor of their Pinehurst home, according to the records. She died shortly after midnight on Dec. 4.
Her cause of death was due to cardiovascular disease, according to the autopsy report, which lists pulmonary hypertension as a contributing condition.
MORE: Timeline of sabotage triggering North Carolina power outage
Zoanelli had chronic lung disease with pulmonary hypertension and at night used an oxygen concentrator, which the power outage disabled, according to the autopsy report.
"While the decedent succumbed to her pre-existing natural disease, preceding failure of her oxygen concentrator as a result of a power outage precipitated her demise through exacerbation of her breathing insufficiency," the autopsy report stated. "And since the power outage involved reportedly occurred in the setting of a criminal firearm attack on the regional electrical distribution substation, the manner of death is best classified as Homicide."
Roughly 45,000 utility customers lost power amid the blackout. Evidence of sabotage was found at two key electrical substations operated by utility provider Duke Energy, prompting the Moore County Sheriff's Office to investigate the incident as a "criminal occurrence" and call in the FBI to assist in the probe.
The county, state and Duke Energy are offering a $75,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and prosecution of those responsible for what the Moore County sheriff called "intentional vandalism."
MORE: $75K reward offered in NC power grid attacks that caused major blackout
The FBI Charlotte Field Office is also offering a $25,000 reward in the incident.
No arrests have been made in connection with the substation shootings.
Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields said following the attacks that if someone died as a result of the blackout, the suspect or suspects could face murder charges.
ABC News' Bill Hutchinson contributed to this report.
veryGood! (974)
Related
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Takeaways from the Wisconsin 2020 fake electors lawsuit settlement
- Powerball winning numbers for March 2 drawing: Jackpot rises to over $440 million
- Jason Kelce Tearfully Announces His Retirement From NFL After 13 Seasons
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Tennessee, Houston headline winners and losers from men's basketball weekend
- Trillions of gallons leak from aging drinking water systems, further stressing shrinking US cities
- Florida passes bill to compensate victims of decades-old reform school abuse
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- DeSantis names Disney World admin to run elections in Democratic Orange County
Ranking
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Iran holds first parliamentary election since 2022 mass protests, amid calls for boycott
- Denver Broncos inform QB Russell Wilson they’ll release him when new league year begins
- Untangling the Rumors Surrounding Noah Cyrus, Tish Cyrus and Dominic Purcell
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- The owners of a Christian boarding school in Missouri are jailed and charged with kidnapping crimes
- Sinéad O'Connor's estate slams Donald Trump for using 'Nothing Compares 2 U' at rallies
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, March 3, 2024
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Just How Much Money Do CO2 Pipeline Companies Stand to Make From the Inflation Reduction Act?
The Flash’s Grant Gustin and Wife LA Thoma Expecting Baby No. 2
Minnesota is poised to give school resource officers clearer authority to use force
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Takeaways from the Wisconsin 2020 fake electors lawsuit settlement
Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr reunite at Stella McCartney's Paris Fashion Week show
NFL free agency: When does it start? What is legal tampering period?