Current:Home > 新闻中心Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack -WealthMindset Learning
Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:24:44
VIENNA (AP) — Organizers of three Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna this week called them off on Wednesday after officials announced arrests over an apparent plot to launch an attack on an event in the Vienna area such as the concerts.
Swift was scheduled to play at the Austrian capital’s Ernst Happel Stadium on Thursday, Friday and Saturday as part of her Eras Tour.
Event organizer Barracuda Music said in a post on its Instagram channel late Wednesday that “we have no choice but to cancel the three scheduled shows for everyone’s safety.” It cited government officials’ “confirmation” of a planned attack at the stadium.
Earlier Wednesday, authorities said they had arrested two suspected extremists, one of whom appeared to be planning an attack on an event in the Vienna area such as the upcoming concerts.
The 19-year-old main suspect was arrested in Ternitz, south of Vienna, and the second person in the Austrian capital.
Franz Ruf, the public security director at Austria’s interior ministry, said authorities were aware of “preparatory actions” for a possible attack “and also that there is a focus by the 19-year-old perpetrator on the Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna,” the Austria Press Agency reported.
Ruf said the 19-year-old had pledged an oath of allegiance to the Islamic State group.
The Austrian citizen is believed to have become radicalized on the internet. Ruf said that chemical substances were secured and were being evaluated. He didn’t give more details.
The cancelation came hours after authorities said security measures for the Swift concerts would be stepped up. Ruf said that there would be a special focus among other things on entry checks and concertgoers should plan a bit more time.
Vienna police chief Gerhard Pürstl said at the same time that, while any concrete danger had be en minimized, an abstract risk justified raising security.
Austrian Interior Minister Gerhard Karner said after the cancelation that the country’s police and intelligence service had “contributed everything to ensure safe events” and that the organizer made the decision to cancel the concerts, APA reported. He said there had been “close networking with foreign security authorities.”
Barracuda Music said that “all tickets will be automatically refunded within the next 10 business days.” The same wording was posted under the Vienna dates on Swift’s official website.
The Vienna stadium had been sold out for the planned concerts, APA reported, with an estimated 170,000 fans expected for the concerts in Austria.
Swift fans took to social media to express their devastation at missing out on one of the superstar’s shows. Some who posted on social network X lamented months of now-wasted efforts to make friendship bracelets and pick out fashionable outfits for the performance.
In 2017, an attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England killed 22 people. Suicide bomber Salman Abedi set up a knapsack bomb in Manchester Arena at the end of Grande’s concert as thousands of young fans were leaving. More than 100 people were injured. Abedi died in the explosion.
An official inquiry reported last year that Britain’s domestic intelligence agency, MI5, didn’t act swiftly enough on key information and missed a significant opportunity to prevent the bombing, the deadliest extremist attack in the U.K. in recent years.
veryGood! (17362)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- North Carolina board reasserts funding control over charter schools after losing other powers
- Alabama doctor who fled police before crash that killed her daughter now facing charges, police say
- Australian police allege a man killed a work colleague before shooting himself
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- A unified strategy and more funding are urgently needed to end the crisis in Myanmar, UN chief says
- North Carolina board reasserts funding control over charter schools after losing other powers
- Danelo Cavalcante press conference livestream: Police update search for Pennsylvania prisoner
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Company pulls spicy One Chip Challenge from store shelves as Massachusetts investigates teen’s death
Ranking
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Newly obtained George Santos vulnerability report spotted red flags long before embattled Rep. was elected
- Ohio will keep GOP-drawn congressional maps in 2024 elections, ending court challenge
- Bethany Joy Lenz Details How She Escaped a Cult and Found Herself
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Joseph Fiordaliso, who championed clean energy as head of New Jersey utilities board, dies at 78
- Russian missile strike kills 17 at Ukraine market as Blinken visits to show support, offer more U.S. help
- 'Wednesday's Child' deals in life after loss
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Gov. DeSantis and Florida surgeon general warn against new COVID-19 restrictions and vaccine
Bruce Springsteen postpones remaining September shows due to peptic ulcer
‘Stop Cop City’ activists arrested after chaining themselves to bulldozer near Atlanta
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Dear Life Kit: My husband shuts down any time I try to talk about our finances
Homicide suspect escapes from DC hospital, GWU students shelter-in-place for hours
Phoenix poised to break another heat record