Current:Home > reviewsNorth Carolina court orders RFK Jr.'s name to be removed just before ballots are sent -WealthMindset Learning
North Carolina court orders RFK Jr.'s name to be removed just before ballots are sent
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 10:48:04
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina appeals court on Friday ruled that Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s name must be taken off state ballots for president, upending plans in the battleground state just as officials were about to begin mailing out the nation’s first absentee ballots for the Nov. 5 presidential election.
The intermediate-level Court of Appeals issued an order granting Kennedy’s request to halt the mailing of ballots that included his name. The court also told a trial judge to order the State Board of Elections to distribute ballots without Kennedy’s name on them. No legal explanation was given.
State law otherwise required the first absentee ballots to be mailed or transmitted no later than 60 days before the general election, making Friday the deadline. The process of reprinting and assembling ballot packages likely would take more than two weeks, state attorneys have said. The ruling could be appealed.
Kennedy, the nominee of the We The People party in North Carolina, had sued last week to get off the state’s ballots after he suspended his campaign and endorsed Republican nominee Donald Trump. But the Democratic majority on the State Board of Elections rejected the request, saying it was too late in the process of printing ballots and coding tabulation machines. Kennedy then sued.
Wake County Superior Court Judge Rebecca Holt on Thursday denied Kennedy’s effort to keep his name off ballots, prompting his appeal. In the meantime, Holt told election officials to hold back sending absentee ballots until noon Friday.
A favorable outcome for Kennedy could assist Trump’s efforts to win the presidential battleground of North Carolina. Trump won the state’s electoral votes by just 1.3 percentage points over Democrat Joe Biden in 2020.
More than 132,500 people — military and overseas workers and in-state civilian residents — have requested North Carolina absentee ballots so far, the State Board of Elections said.
In an email, state board attorney Paul Cox told election directors in all 100 counties after Friday’s ruling to hold on to the current ballots but not send them. More than 2.9 million absentee and in-person ballots have been printed so far.
No decision has been made on appealing Friday’s decision, Cox wrote, and removing Kennedy and running mate Nicole Shanahan from the ballot would be “a major undertaking for everyone,” Cox wrote.
Since Kennedy suspended his campaign, the environmentalist and author has tried to get his name removed from ballots in several states where the race between Trump and Democratic nominee Kamala Harris are expected to be close.
Kennedy on Wednesday sued in Wisconsin to get his name removed from the presidential ballot there after the state elections commission voted to keep him on it. Kennedy also filed a lawsuit in Michigan but a judge ruled Tuesday that he must remain on the ballot there.
veryGood! (734)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- 2023 MLB playoffs schedule: Postseason bracket, game times for wild-card series
- How to make a Contact Poster in iOS 17: Enable the new feature with these simple steps.
- 90 Day Fiancé's Shaeeda Sween Shares Why She Decided to Share Her Miscarriage Story
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Why New York’s Curbside Composting Program Will Yield Hardly Any Compost
- AP Top 25: Georgia’s hold on No. 1 loosens, but top seven unchanged. Kentucky, Louisville enter poll
- Lawrence, Ridley and defense help Jaguars beat Falcons 23-7 in London
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- South Korean golfers Sungjae Im & Si Woo Kim team for win, exemption from military service
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Jimmy Carter turns 99 at home with Rosalynn and other family as tributes come from around the world
- Polish opposition head Donald Tusk leads march to boost chances to unseat conservatives in election
- One year after deadly fan crush at Indonesia soccer stadium, families still seek justice
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- The community of traveling families using the globe as their classroom is growing. Welcome to the world school revolution
- At least 13 people were killed at a nightclub fire in Spain’s southeastern city of Murcia
- Yes, Pete Davidson's Dating History Was Stacked Well Before He Was Linked to Madelyn Cline
Recommendation
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
A European body condemns Turkey’s sentencing of an activist for links to 2013 protests
Rishi Sunak needs to rally his flagging Conservatives. He hopes a dash of populism will do the trick
Why you should read these 51 banned books now
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Group of scientists discover 400-pound stingray in New England waters
A woman who fled the Maui wildfire on foot has died after weeks in a hospital burn unit
Shawn Johnson Reveals Her Surprising Reaction to Daughter Drew's Request to Do Big Girl Gymnastics