Current:Home > reviewsIndexbit Exchange:Maine to extend electrical cost assistance to tens of thousands of low-income residents -WealthMindset Learning
Indexbit Exchange:Maine to extend electrical cost assistance to tens of thousands of low-income residents
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 11:17:37
PORTLAND,Indexbit Exchange Maine (AP) — Maine’s public utility regulators approved an extension Tuesday of an energy assistance program that is expected to help tens of thousands of low-income state residents while potential cuts to federal assistance loom.
Members of the Maine Public Utilities Commission said the decision extends assistance to as many as 46,000 additional residents. The commission approved a one-time boost to its Low-Income Assistance Program and increased the eligibility threshold for Maine Department of Health and Human Services programs.
The changes could increase the average benefit for those who receive assistance by nearly a third, said commission Chair Philip Bartlett II.
“Not only does this increase the number of customers eligible to receive assistance, but it will also increase the average customer benefit,” Bartlett said in a statement. “Our staff estimates that the average benefit could increase by up to 31 percent, which means real relief for Mainers who are struggling the most.”
The increase in assistance is arriving just as federal Low Income Heating Assistance Program funding could face cuts as a potential government shutdown looms. The Biden administration said last week that Republican spending cut proposals could reduce the program’s funding by $26 million in Maine and hundreds of millions more around the country.
Maine has some of the highest energy costs in the country, in part because of its cold temperatures and reliance on oil heating. The Low-Income Assistance Program provides credits on electric bills based on residents’ income and electricity usage.
The commission said its decision to increase funding bumped the program from $15 million to $22.5 million for the 2023-24 year. It said residents participating in the program will receive a notice regarding their eligibility.
The commission’s decision comes as families across the country are once again preparing to grapple with high energy costs as temperatures begin to fall. Last year, the Biden administration made billions in federal funding available through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program.
This year’s hot summer also tested residents’ ability to keep up with soaring electricity bills in Maine and across the country.
veryGood! (298)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Auli’i Cravalho explains why she won't reprise role as Moana in live-action Disney remake
- Leon Wildes, immigration lawyer who fought to prevent John Lennon’s deportation, dead at age 90
- Judge orders Trump to pay nearly $400,000 for New York Times' legal fees
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Oklahoma City-area hit by 4.1-magnitude earthquake Saturday, one of several in Oklahoma
- NFL schedule today: Everything to know about playoff games on Jan. 14
- More stunning NFL coach firings to come? Keep an eye on high-pressure wild-card games
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Why did someone want Texas couple Ted and Corey Shaughnessy dead?
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Volcano erupts in southwestern Iceland, send lava flowing toward nearby settlement
- Mop-mop-swoosh-plop it's rug-washing day in 'Bábo'
- Worried about losing in 2024, Iowa’s Republican voters are less interested in talking about abortion
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Tom Shales, longtime TV critic, dies at 79
- A royal first: Australia celebrates Princess Mary’s historic rise to be queen consort in Denmark
- More stunning NFL coach firings to come? Keep an eye on high-pressure wild-card games
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
Houthis vow to keep attacking ships in Red Sea after U.S., U.K. strikes target their weapons in Yemen
Japan’s Kishida visits quake-hit region as concerns rise about diseases in evacuation centers
Caitlin Clark points tracker: When will Iowa basketball star break NCAA scoring record?
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Houthis vow to keep attacking ships in Red Sea after U.S., U.K. strikes target their weapons in Yemen
NTSB investigating 2 Brightline high speed train crashes that killed 3 people in Florida this week
CVS closing dozens of pharmacies inside Target stores