Current:Home > MarketsHead of Radio New Zealand public radio network apologizes for "pro-Kremlin garbage" -WealthMindset Learning
Head of Radio New Zealand public radio network apologizes for "pro-Kremlin garbage"
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 07:36:27
Wellington, New Zealand — The head of New Zealand's public radio station apologized Monday for publishing "pro-Kremlin garbage" on its website after more than a dozen wire stories on the Ukraine war were found to have been altered.
Most of the stories, which date back more than a year, were written by the Reuters news agency and were changed at Radio New Zealand to include Russian propaganda. A digital journalist from RNZ has been placed on leave pending the result of an employment investigation.
Paul Thompson, the chief executive of taxpayer-funded RNZ, said it had found issues in 16 stories and was republishing them on its website with corrections and editor's notes. He said he was commissioning an external review of the organization's editing processes.
"It is so disappointing. I'm gutted. It's painful. It's shocking," Thompson said on RNZ's Nine to Noon show. "We have to get to the bottom of how it happened."
Thompson said it had forensically reviewed about 250 stories since first being alerted to the issue Friday and would be reviewing thousands more.
Some of the changes were just a few words and would have been hard to spot by casual readers. Changes included the addition of pro-Kremlin narratives such as "Russia annexed Crimea after a referendum" and that "neo-Nazis had created a threat" to Russia's borders.
The referendum, which was held after Russia seized control of Crimea, was considered a sham and wasn't recognized internationally. Russia for years has also tried to link Ukraine to Nazism, particularly those who have led the government in Kyiv since a pro-Russian leadership was toppled in 2014. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, who is Jewish, angrily dismisses those claims.
Former New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark tweeted that she expected better from the public broadcaster.
"Extraordinary that there is so little editorial oversight at Radio New Zealand that someone employed by/contracted to them was able to rewrite online content to reflect pro-Russia stance without senior staff noticing," she wrote. "Accountability?"
Thompson told the Nine to Noon program that typically only one person at RNZ had been required to edit wire service stories because those stories had already been subject to robust editing. But he said RNZ was now adding another layer of editing to such stories.
He said he wanted to apologize to listeners, readers, staff and the Ukrainian community.
"It's so disappointing that this pro-Kremlin garbage has ended up in our stories," Thompson told Nine to Noon. "It's inexcusable."
RNZ began as a radio broadcaster but these days is a multimedia organization and its website ranks among the nation's most viewed news sites.
Reuters did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
- In:
- War
- Misinformation
- Ukraine
- New Zealand
- Russia
- Propaganda
- Vladimir Putin
- Kremlin
veryGood! (8735)
Related
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Euphoria's Jacob Elordi Joins Olivia Jade Giannulli on Family Vacation With Mom Lori Loughlin
- Saoirse Ronan made a life for herself. Now, she's 'ready to be out there again.'
- Elon Musk to join Trump at rally at the site of first assassination attempt
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Travis and Jason Kelce’s Mom Donna Kelce Stood “Still” in Marriage to Ed Kelce Before Divorce
- Photo shows U.S. Rep. Mike Lawler wearing blackface at college Halloween party in 2006
- There are 19 college football unbeatens. Predicting when each team will lose for first time
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Jennifer Hudson Hilariously Confronts Boyfriend Common on Marriage Plans
Ranking
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Micah Parsons injury update: When will Cowboys star pass rusher return?
- There are 19 college football unbeatens. Predicting when each team will lose for first time
- 'Love is Blind' star Hannah says she doesn’t feel ‘love bombed’ by Nick
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Texas man sought in wounding of small town’s police chief
- Abortion-rights groups are outraising opponents 8-to-1 on November ballot measures
- 'Love is Blind' star Hannah says she doesn’t feel ‘love bombed’ by Nick
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Halle Bailey and DDG Break Up Less Than a Year After Welcoming Baby Boy
Scary new movies to see this October, from 'Terrifier 3' to 'Salem's Lot'
Subway rider shot in the head by police files claim accusing officers of recklessly opening fire
Bodycam footage shows high
Nibi the ‘diva’ beaver to stay at rescue center, Massachusetts governor decides
Prince William Shares He Skipped 2024 Olympics to Protect Kate Middleton’s Health
Euphoria's Jacob Elordi Joins Olivia Jade Giannulli on Family Vacation With Mom Lori Loughlin