Current:Home > ContactCharles H. Sloan-COVID-19 treatments to enter the market with a hefty price tag -WealthMindset Learning
Charles H. Sloan-COVID-19 treatments to enter the market with a hefty price tag
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 11:12:06
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Charles H. SloanCOVID-19 treatments millions of Americans have taken for free from the federal government will enter the private market next week with a hefty price tag.
Pharmaceutical giant Pfizer is setting the price for a five-day treatment of Paxlovid at $1,390, but Americans can still access the pills at no cost -- for now. The less commonly used COVID-19 treatment Lagevrio, manufactured by Merck, also will hit the market next week.
Millions of free, taxpayer-funded courses of the pills will remain at pharmacies, hospitals and doctor’s offices across the country, U.S. Health and Human Services officials said Friday. People on private insurance may start to notice copays for the treatments once their pharmacy or doctor’s office runs out of the COVID-19 treatments they received from the government.
The U.S. government initially inked a deal with Pfizer to pay more than $5 billion for 10 million courses of Paxlovid in 2021.
Under a new agreement, reached last month between Pfizer and the federal government, people on Medicaid, Medicare or those who are without medical insurance will not pay any out-of-pocket costs for the treatment through the end of next year. Pfizer will also offer copay assistance for the treatment through 2028. The Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Defense and Indian Health Service will still be able to access Paxlovid the government has on hand. The government will also get 1 million treatment courses to keep in its stockpile.
Suppliers to pharmacies, doctor’s offices and hospitals can begin ordering the treatments from the drug companies starting next week.
“Pfizer is committed to a smooth commercial transition and is working collaboratively with the U.S. government and health care stakeholders to ensure broad and equitable access to this important medicine for all eligible patients,” the company said in an emailed statement to The Associated Press.
Paxlovid has been used to treat COVID-19 since 2021, but the Food and Drug Administration granted full approval earlier this year for it to be used on adults with coronavirus who face high risks of hospitalization or death. That group typically includes older adults and those with medical conditions like diabetes, asthma and obesity.
Full-year revenue for Paxlovid and Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine, Comirnaty, is expected to be approximately $12.5 billion.
Merck has not confirmed a list price yet for its Lagevrio treatment but said in a statement to AP that it will also offer the treatment free to patients “who, without assistance, could not otherwise afford the product.”
—
Associated Press reporter Tom Murphy in Indianapolis contributed to this report.
veryGood! (31787)
Related
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- President Biden to bring out the celebrities at high-dollar fundraiser with Obama, Clinton
- Media attorney warns advancing bill would create ‘giant loophole’ in Kentucky’s open records law
- Appeals court keeps hold on Texas' SB4 immigration law while it consider its legality
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- MLB owners unanimously approve sale of Baltimore Orioles to a group headed by David Rubenstein
- 2 high school wrestling team members in West Virginia are charged with sexual assault
- USWNT's Midge Purce will miss Olympics, NWSL season with torn ACL: 'I'm heartbroken'
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Lea Michele Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby No. 2 With Husband Zandy Reich
Ranking
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Children's author Kouri Richins tried before to kill her husband, new counts allege
- Judge dismisses murder charges ex-Houston officer had faced over 2019 drug raid
- Who are the victims in Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse? What we know about those missing and presumed dead
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- 'Why wouldn't we?' Caitlin Clark offered $5 million by Ice Cube's BIG 3 league
- Connecticut coach Dan Hurley on competing with NBA teams: 'That's crazy talk'
- Alcohol permit lifted at Indy bar where shooting killed 1 and wounded 5, including police officer
Recommendation
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Selling Sunset's Chelsea Lazkani Files for Divorce From Husband After Nearly 7 Years of Marriage
Driving along ... and the roadway vanishes beneath you. What’s it like to survive a bridge collapse?
This stinks. A noxious weed forces Arizona national monument’s picnic area to close until May
DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
A $500K house was built on the wrong Hawaii lot. A legal fight is unfolding over the mix-up
New spicy Casey McQuiston book 'The Pairing' comes out this summer: What fans can expect
'Why wouldn't we?' Caitlin Clark offered $5 million by Ice Cube's BIG 3 league