Current:Home > reviewsMuseum to honor Navajo Code Talkers is about $40 million shy of reality -WealthMindset Learning
Museum to honor Navajo Code Talkers is about $40 million shy of reality
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 11:09:42
SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — A museum in New Mexico to honor the Navajo Code Talkers is about $40 million shy of becoming a reality, according to organizers.
The state put $6.4 million in capital outlay funds toward the project this year, but the museum’s organizers face a significant financial climb before doors can open, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported Tuesday.
“Our capacity is severely limited,” said Regan Hawthorne, CEO of the Navajo Code Talkers Museum. “We’re still fledgling. We’re still gaining momentum in finding our identity.”
Hawthorne’s late father, Roy Hawthorne, was a Marine who served as a Code Talker on South Pacific islands from 1942 to 1945.
The complex, unbreakable code was developed by an original group of 29 Navajo Marines in 1942. They used it in combat communications in Pacific campaigns during World War II and helped U.S. forces gain ground and victories.
Only three of the original Navajo Code Talkers are still alive.
The Chevron Mining Co. donated more than 200 acres in McKinley County in 2009 for a Code Talkers museum, but the project has not gained much momentum since then.
Regan Hawthorne said the museum’s leaders have to finalize a deal with the Navajo Nation on the land for the museum.
To avoid a problem with the state’s anti-donation clause, he said, museum leaders are working on a deal to give or sell the land to the tribe.
Regan Hawthorne added that finding funding has been challenging, in part because of confusion over the land and museum organizers’ lack of an office where they can meet people and solicit financial support.
The tribe celebrates the Code Talkers every Aug. 14 and have done so since 1982, when President Ronald Reagan proclaimed the date as National Navajo Code Talkers Day.
On Monday, the 25th Navajo Nation Council paid tribute to the Code Talkers again at an event held at the Navajo Veterans Memorial Park in Window Rock, Arizona.
veryGood! (178)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Why Elizabeth Hurley Felt Safe Filming Sex Scenes Directed By Her Son
- When is spring 2024? What to know about the vernal equinox as we usher in a new season
- Uncomfortable Conversations: Did you get stuck splitting the dining bill unfairly?
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Women’s March Madness bracket recap: Full 2024 NCAA bracket, schedule and more
- A second man charged for stealing Judy Garland's 'Wizard of Oz' ruby slippers in 2005
- Heat-seeking drone saves puppy's life after missing for five days
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Wales elects Vaughan Gething, first Black national leader in Europe
Ranking
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- PACCAR, Hyundai, Ford, Honda, Tesla among 165k vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
- Protecting abortion rights in states hangs in the balance of national election strategies
- Announcers revealed for NCAA Tournament men's first round
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Brenda Song says fiancé Macaulay Culkin helps her feel 'so confident'
- 11-year-old fatally stabbed while trying to protect pregnant mother from attacker, officials say
- Pennsylvania House speaker pushes for same-day registration and widely available early voting
Recommendation
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb signs proclamation condemning antisemitism while vetoing bill defining it
The Best Plus Size Swimwear That'll Make You Feel Cute & Confident
David Guetta and Girlfriend Jessica Ledon Welcome First Baby Together
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Philadelphia man won’t be retried in shooting that sent him to prison for 12 years at 17
Beauty YouTuber Jessica Pettway Dead at 36 After Cervical Cancer Battle
Judge approves new murder charges against man in case of slain Indiana teens