Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Burning Man "exodus operations" begin as driving ban is lifted, organizers say -WealthMindset Learning
Will Sage Astor-Burning Man "exodus operations" begin as driving ban is lifted, organizers say
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 07:36:28
Stranded Burning Man festival goers began heading home on Will Sage AstorMonday as a driving ban was lifted in the northern Nevada desert.
Tens of thousands of people had been stuck after flooding forced attendees to shelter in place. As of midday Monday, approximately 63,000 people remained on site, according to Burning Man.
"Exodus operations" began at 2 p.m. local time, organizers said. Though the driving ban was lifted, attendees were advised to consider holding off on trips home until Tuesday to alleviate congestion. The Washoe County Sheriff's Office was helping organize departures from the Black Rock Desert.
"We understand participants are eager to return home, but safety is our top priority," Sheriff Darin Balaam said.
A Friday downpour had turned the festival grounds and surrounding areas into a muddy mess, leaving the roads impassable. The Burning Man entrance was shut down on Saturday, the Washoe County Sheriff's Office said.
"You don't expect this kind of rain and the effect," attendee Paul Tan said.
One person died during the festival. The death occurred during the extreme rain, but not because of it, the Pershing County Sheriff's Office confirmed.
The White House on Sunday said that President Biden had been briefed on the flooding at Burning Man and that administration officials were "monitoring the situation and are in touch with state and local officials."
While people were unable to hop into cars to leave the gathering, some opted to trek through the mud on foot, including superstar DJ and music producer Diplo. He shared a video to social media Saturday afternoon that showed several people riding on the back of a truck leaving the festival, one of whom appeared to be comedian Chris Rock.
"Just walked 5 miles in the mud out of burning man with chris rock and a fan picked us up," Diplo wrote.
Burning Man's organizers asked people not to walk out of the festival on Monday.
Despite the messy conditions, attendee Elizabeth Downing told CBS News she felt safe and comfortable at the festival.
"We were all there as a community and we actually came together and made the best of it," Downing said.
Many will stick around to watch an effigy being burned on Monday night. The burning typically signifies the end of the gathering, which was first launched in 1986. The burning had been postponed because of the weather conditions.
- In:
- Burning Man
Aliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBS News.
TwitterveryGood! (5)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Missing 80-year-old saved by devoted Lab who waited with her for days until rescuers came
- Pope Francis’ close ally, Cardinal Sean O’Malley, retires as archbishop of Boston at age 80
- A North Carolina Republican who mocked women for abortions runs ad with his wife’s own story
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Christine Lakin thinks satirical video of Candace Cameron Bure's brother got her fired from 'Fuller House'
- Australia's triathletes took E.coli medicine a month before 2024 Paris Olympics
- Simone Biles slips off the balance beam during event finals to miss the Olympic medal stand
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Slow Wheels of Policy Leave Low-Income Residents of Nashville Feeling Brunt of Warming Climate
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Archery's Brady Ellison wins silver, barely misses his first gold on final arrow
- Men's 100m final results: Noah Lyles wins gold in photo finish at 2024 Paris Olympics
- Horoscopes Today, August 3, 2024
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Texas is back to familiar spot in the US LBM preseason college football poll but is it ready for SEC?
- Am I too old to open a Roth IRA? Don't count yourself out just yet
- U.S. takes silver in first ever team skeet shooting event at Olympics
Recommendation
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
Democratic primary in Arizona’s 3rd District still close, could be headed for recount
Powerball winning numbers for August 3 drawing: Jackpot rises to $171 million
US conquers murky Siene for silver in mixed triathlon relay: Don't care 'if I get sick'
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
Tropical Storm Debby barrels toward Florida, with potential record-setting rains further north
Joe Rogan ribs COVID-19 vaccines, LGBTQ community in Netflix special 'Burn the Boats'
USA women's basketball roster, schedule for Paris Olympics: Team goes for 8th-straight gold