Current:Home > ScamsMan charged in 1977 strangulations of three Southern California women after DNA investigation -WealthMindset Learning
Man charged in 1977 strangulations of three Southern California women after DNA investigation
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:24:32
VENTURA, Calif. (AP) — A 73-year-old man has been charged in the strangulation deaths of three Southern California women in 1977 after cold case detectives obtained a DNA match, authorities said Thursday, adding they believe there could be more victims.
Warren Luther Alexander of Diamondhead, Mississippi, made his first court appearance Thursday but arraignment on three counts of first-degree murder was postponed to Aug. 21, the Ventura County District Attorney’s Office said. He remained jailed without bail.
Alexander’s case was assigned to the county public defender’s office. A telephone message was left at the office seeking comment on the case.
Alexander was extradited to California on Aug. 6 from Surry County, North Carolina, where he is awaiting prosecution for a 1992 cold case killing, the office said.
All the California victims were killed by “ligature strangulations,” District Attorney Erik Nasarenko said at a news conference. All were sex workers in Ventura County, northwest of Los Angeles, and frequented an area known for sex trafficking, he said.
Kimberly Fritz, 18, was found dead in the city of Port Hueneme on May 29, 1977. Velvet Sanchez, 31, was found dead on Sept. 8 that year in the city of Oxnard, followed by Lorraine Rodriguez, 21, on Dec. 27 in an unincorporated area.
“While believing these three crimes were indeed connected, leads ran cold and detectives were unable to identify who was responsible for these horrific murders,” Nasarenko said.
The DNA match to Alexander occurred last year when DNA evidence was uploaded into a national database, the district attorney said. Investigative genealogy had identified Alexander as a suspect in the North Carolina case of 29-year-old Nona Cobb, whose body was left along Interstate 77, he said.
A 2006 query of the database had failed to find a match.
North Carolina news media reported that Alexander was arrested in the Cobb case in March 2022. That case had yet to proceed to trial, said Joey Buttitta, spokesperson for Ventura County prosecutors.
Alexander lived in Oxnard in the late 1950s and ‘60s, attending elementary, middle and high schools, and returned in the 1970s, Nasarenko said.
From the 1970s into the early 1990s Alexander was a long-haul, cross-country truck driver, Nasarenko said.
“We believe there may be additional victims both locally and other states,” he said. “This is an ongoing investigation, and we will continue to pursue all leads that become available. This is not in any way closed.”
veryGood! (9677)
Related
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- The AP has called winners in elections for more than 170 years. Here’s how it’s done
- Man arrested in Michigan and charged with slaying of former Clemson receiver in North Carolina
- Prince Harry Shares One Way Daughter Lilibet Is Taking After Meghan Markle
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Kelly Ripa Reveals Mark Consuelos' Irritated Reaction to Her Kicking Him in the Crotch
- A police union director who was fired after an opioid smuggling arrest pleads guilty
- Justin Timberlake Suffers Injury and Cancels New Jersey Concert
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- As FEMA prepares for Hurricane Milton, it battles rumors surrounding Helene recovery
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Law letting Tennessee attorney general argue certain capital cases is constitutional, court rules
- Lawsuit says Virginia is illegally purging legitimate voters off the rolls
- Who can vote in US elections, and what steps must you take to do so?
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Céline Dion Shares Emotional Reaction to Kelly Clarkson's My Heart Will Go On Cover
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson Unveils Rare Photos With Stepdaughter Jessie on 18th Birthday
- Courts could see a wave of election lawsuits, but experts say the bar to change the outcome is high
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Lawsuit seeks to reopen voter registration in Georgia after Hurricane Helene
2 off-duty NYC housing authority employees arrested in gang attack on ex New York governor
Justin Timberlake Suffers Injury and Cancels New Jersey Concert
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Rookie Drake Maye will be new starting quarterback for Patriots, per report
How AP uses expected vote instead of ‘precincts reporting’ when determining a winner
Hoda Kotb details 'weird' decision to leave 'Today' show after 16 years