Current:Home > FinanceLawyers for New Hampshire casino owner fight fraud allegations at hearing -WealthMindset Learning
Lawyers for New Hampshire casino owner fight fraud allegations at hearing
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 05:43:55
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A former state senator and casino owner accused of buying luxury cars with a fraudulently obtained COVID-19 relief loan kept financial records that were “sloppy at best” and nefarious at worst, an auditor testified Monday. But his attorney argued that the state is trying to destroy his business based on a sloppy investigation.
Andy Sanborn, a Republican from Bedford, did not attend the hearing he requested to appeal the state Lottery Commission’s August decision to permanently revoke his gaming operator’s license. His attorney said Sanborn was at a Boston hospital, accompanied by his wife, Laurie, a leader in the New Hampshire House.
Sanborn owns the Concord Casino within The Draft Sports Bar and Grill in Concord and is seeking to open another, much larger, charitable gaming venue a few miles (kilometers) away. But the commission argues that his license should be revoked for four reasons, though it only needs one. It said he improperly obtained federal funds, misrepresented how he spent the money, paid himself large sums as rent and failed to keep accurate records overall.
“This case is about the public’s confidence in charitable gaming. It’s about accountability,” said Senior Assistant Attorney General Jessica King. “At its core, the evidence will show that Mr. Sanborn was co-mingling funds, mislabeling personal expenses as business expenses and running a financially-based business without regard to important regulations put in place as safeguards in this high risk industry.”
According to the investigation, Sanborn fraudulently obtained $844,000 in funding from the Small Business Administration between December 2021 and February 2022. Casinos and charitable gaming facilities weren’t eligible for such loans, but Sanborn omitted his business name, “Concord Casino,” from his application and listed his primary business activity as “miscellaneous services.”
He’s accused of spending $181,000 on two Porsche race cars and $80,000 on a Ferrari for his wife. Sanborn also paid himself more than $183,000 for what he characterized as rent for his Concord properties, investigators said.
In his opening statement, Sanborn’s attorney said the rent payments reflected the casino’s expansion to multiple floors of its building, and that the commission reached conclusions about business expenses based on internal documents that hadn’t yet been adjusted for final reporting. But the main problem, Mark Knights said, is that the state’s entire case is built on allegations about the COVID-19 relief loan that it hasn’t proven.
Sanborn had his doubts that the business was eligible, he said, but relied on the advice of a consultant. That doesn’t make it fraud, Knights added.
“It’s an incomplete story that has yawning gaps in the evidence that are the result of an incomplete and, frankly, sloppy investigation,” he said.
The state’s only witness was Lottery Commission auditor Leila McDonough, who said she was extremely concerned about irregularities in Sanborn’s record keeping. Compared to other casino owners, he didn’t seem to take compliance with state regulations seriously, she testified.
“He’s been the most difficult and challenging to work with. He doesn’t seem to think that rules and laws apply to him,” she said.
On cross-examination, McDonough acknowledged describing Sanborn as cooperative in 2021 and saying that he appeared willing to fix any issues identified by her audit.
At the time the allegations were announced in August, officials said federal authorities had been notified and that the state had begun a criminal investigation.
veryGood! (523)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Washington gets past Oregon to win Pac-12 title. What it means for College Football Playoff
- 7 suspected illegal miners dead, more than 20 others missing in landslide in Zambia
- Federal judge tosses lawsuit alleging environmental racism in St. James Parish
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Shannen Doherty says cancer has spread to her bones: I don't want to die
- Run to J.Crew for up to 96% off Dresses, Cardigans & More Jaw-Dropping Deals
- Russia brings new charges against jailed Kremlin foe Navalny
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Jingle All the Way to Madewell’s Holiday Gift Sale with Deals Starting at Only $20
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds' Trainer Wants You to Eat More This Holiday Season—You Know You Love It
- Idaho baby found dead by police one day after Amber Alert, police say father is in custody
- U.S. Women National Team meets Serena Williams after 3-0 victory over China
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Heavy snow in northern England causes havoc on highways and knocks out power
- Alabama woman pleads guilty in 2019 baseball bat beating death of man found in a barrel
- Federal judge tosses lawsuit alleging environmental racism in St. James Parish
Recommendation
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Joe Flacco will start for Browns vs. Rams. Here's why Cleveland is turning to veteran QB
Group of swing state Muslims vows to ditch Biden in 2024 over his war stance
13 holiday gifts for Taylor Swift fans, from friendship bracelets to NFL gear
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
The Pentagon says a US warship and multiple commercial ships have come under attack in the Red Sea
These TV Co-Stars Are Actually Couples in Real-Life
Amy Robach and T.J. Holmes Make Red Carpet Debut as a Couple at Jingle Ball