Current:Home > MyMan shot to death at large Minneapolis homeless encampment that has been slated for closure -WealthMindset Learning
Man shot to death at large Minneapolis homeless encampment that has been slated for closure
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:06:17
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A man was shot to death at a large Minnesota homeless encampment, days before it was scheduled to be removed.
The shooting was reported around 5:15 p.m. Tuesday at the encampment known as Camp Nenookaasi in Minneapolis. The 45-year-old victim suffered several gunshot wounds and was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. His name has not been released.
A man suspected in the shooting was arrested near the encampment and a gun was recovered, police spokesperson Aaron Rose said at a news briefing. A second man also was arrested but it wasn’t immediately clear why. No charges had been filed as of Wednesday morning.
After the shooting, police temporarily dispersed people from the encampment and brought in a Metro Transit bus to provide warmth and shelter on a night when the temperature was in the 20s. It wasn’t immediately clear if the residents have been allowed to return. A message left with police on Wednesday morning wasn’t immediately returned.
The encampment recently had around 180 people living there, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported. The city had planned to close it on Dec. 7 but reconsidered and allowed it to remain open until Dec. 19.
The encampment has both supporters and detractors. While some say that people living there have no place else to go, others worry about crime and dangerous living conditions. A fetus was found dead at the same encampment in October, and it was the site of another shooting in the past month.
Several supporters of the encampment appeared at a recent public hearing to oppose its closure. A majority of City Council members last week asked Mayor Jacob Frey to wait until February to shut it down. The Star Tribune reported that the delay until Dec. 19 was granted in part because 52 occupants were set to move into housing by Monday.
veryGood! (29392)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Kaitlyn Bristowe Suffers Panic Attack and Misses People's Choice Country Awards Red Carpet
- Appeals court blocks hearings on drawing a second majority-Black congressional district in Louisiana
- Man arrested in shooting at Lil Baby concert in Memphis
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Peter Thomas Roth Flash Sale: Get $116 Worth of Skincare Products for Just $69
- AP Week in Pictures: North America
- Baton Rouge police reckon with mounting allegations of misconduct and abuse
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Baton Rouge police reckon with mounting allegations of misconduct and abuse
Ranking
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Tropical Storm Philippe and Tropical Storm Rina could merge, National Hurricane Center says
- Lebanese Armenians scuffle with riot police during protest outside Azerbaijan Embassy
- Another Taylor Swift surge? Ticket prices to Chiefs matchup against Jets in New York rise
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- 'Gen V', Amazon's superhero college spinoff of 'The Boys,' fails to get a passing grade
- COVID vaccine during pregnancy still helps protect newborns, CDC finds
- Revisiting Lane Kiffin's infamous tarmac firing by USC at an airport, 10 years later
Recommendation
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Project conserves 3,700 acres of forest in northern New Hampshire
Ryder Cup 2023 format explained: What you need to know about rules and scoring
Las Vegas stadium proponents counter attempt to repeal public funding for potential MLB ballpark
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
China wins bronze in League of Legends but all eyes on South Korea in gold-medal match
Hawaii Army base under lockdown after man flees with handgun; no shots fired
‘Let me be blunt’: UAW VP for GM has strong words about Trump’s visit to Michigan