Current:Home > MarketsChainkeen Exchange-Woman associated with MS-13 is sentenced to 50 years in prison -WealthMindset Learning
Chainkeen Exchange-Woman associated with MS-13 is sentenced to 50 years in prison
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 05:50:47
CENTRAL ISLIP,Chainkeen Exchange N.Y. (AP) — A woman associated with MS-13 was sentenced Tuesday to 50 years in federal prison for her role in luring four young men to be killed by more than a dozen members of the violent transnational gang in the New York City suburbs.
Leniz Escobar was a “critical player” at nearly every step of the April 2017 massacre, “willingly and enthusiastically” helping to plan and execute the horrific killing, in which gang members armed with machetes, knives and tree limbs ambushed the victims in a park on Long Island, declared U.S. Judge Joseph Bianco as he handed down his decision in Central Islip federal court.
The now 24-year-old, who was nicknamed “Diablita” or “Little Devil” among members of MS-13, was convicted in 2022 of one count of racketeering and four counts of murder in aid of racketeering.
Escobar said in court that she is reminded every day of the pain she’s caused.
“All I can do is hurt,” she said through tears. “Every breath reminds me that they are not here and their families are in pain. If I could trade places with them and take away that pain, I would.”
But parents and other relatives of the victims who spoke in court were unmoved.
“She does not deserve 50 or 60 years in prison. She deserves the death penalty,” Bertha Ullaguari, the mother of 18-year-old Jorge Tigre, said in Spanish through a translator.
Jason Tigre said his older brother was a mentor to him and was looking forward to graduating high school and going on to college before his life was cut short.
“Now I’m all alone and I’m trying to be strong for him,” the now 17 year-old said through tears. “This never should have happened, but it did because she did it. He should still be here.”
Escobar’s lawyer had argued for a sentence of no more than 32 years in prison, noting that she had been just at the cusp of 18 at the time and had already endured violence, sexual abuse, exploitation and human trafficking.
“From the time of her birth until April 2017, she had lived a horrible, terrible life,” defense attorney Jesse Siegel said. “The best years of her life have been the last seven years in custody.”
He also noted that she’d begun to turn her life around behind bars — earning her high school degree, leading Bible studies, and serving as a mentor and “positive influence” to fellow inmates with “wisdom beyond her years.”
But prosecutors, in arguing for a stiffer sentence of 65 years in prison, said Escobar had continued to maintain strong ties to MS-13 after her arrest, even coordinating the beating of another female gang associate for violating the gang’s code.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Megan Farrell also said it was Escobar that had set the massacre in motion by bringing photos on social media to the attention of gang leaders that were posted by one of the intended victims.
Escobar had felt “personally offended” that the victim had worn items typically associated with the gang and appeared to use the gang’s hand signs even though he was not an MS-13 member, she said.
Escobar then endeared herself to the victims, who had thought they were being invited to smoke marijuana at a park, according to Farrell. Then after the killing, she bragged to other MS-13 members about her role and instructed those involved to destroy evidence and evade police.
“She was one of the most culpable people,” Farrell said. “Without her, these murders would not have occurred.”
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (71)
Related
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Dying to catch a Beyoncé or Taylor Swift show? Some fans are traveling overseas — and saving money
- Trump Strips California’s Right to Set Tougher Auto Standards
- Chase Sui Wonders Shares Insight Into Very Sacred Relationship With Boyfriend Pete Davidson
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Less than a quarter of U.S. homes are affordable for the typical buyer, study shows
- Mary-Kate Olsen Is Ready for a Holiday in the Sun During Rare Public Outing
- DNC Platform Calls for Justice Dept. to Investigate Fossil Fuel Companies
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Fossil Fuel Allies in Congress Target Meteorologists’ Climate Science Training
Ranking
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get This $360 Tote Bag for Just $79
- Study: Solar Power Officially Cheaper Than Nuclear in North Carolina
- Is the IOGCC, Created by Congress in 1935, Now a Secret Oil and Gas Lobby?
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Oil Industry Satellite for Measuring Climate Pollution Set to Launch
- New VA study finds Paxlovid may cut the risk of long COVID
- See pictures from Trump indictment that allegedly show boxes of classified documents in Mar-a-Lago bathroom, ballroom
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Get a $49 Deal on $110 Worth of Tarte Makeup That Blurs the Appearance of Pores and Fine Lines
Sorry Gen Xers and Millennials, MTV News Is Shutting Down After 36 Years
Flash Deal: Save $175 on a Margaritaville Bali Frozen Concoction Maker
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Push to Burn Wood for Fuel Threatens Climate Goals, Scientists Warn
Michigan voters approve amendment adding reproductive rights to state constitution
Dozens of Countries Take Aim at Climate Super Pollutants