Current:Home > StocksNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -WealthMindset Learning
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 11:06:17
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (396)
Related
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- To expand abortion access in Texas, a lawmaker gets creative
- Indianapolis police release video of officer fatally shooting Black man after traffic stop
- Americans are demanding more: Desired salary for new jobs now nearly $79,000
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Larry Rudolph, wealthy dentist convicted of killing wife on African safari, sentenced to life in prison
- Child killed, at least 20 others injured after school bus crash in Ohio
- Plane crashes into field in Maine with two people on board
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Dentist convicted of killing wife on African safari gets life sentence, $15M in penalties
Ranking
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Powerball jackpot reaches $291 million ahead of Monday's drawing. See winning numbers for Aug. 21.
- YouTuber Hank Green Says He's in Complete Remission 3 Months After Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Cancer Diagnosis
- Watch these firefighters go above and beyond to save a pup from the clutches of a wildfire
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Pets not welcome? Publix posts signs prohibiting pets and emotional support animals
- Huntsville City Council member pleads guilty in shoplifting case; banned from Walmart
- In the 1930s, bank robberies were a craze. This one out of Cincinnati may take the cake.
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Trump co-defendants in Fulton County case begin surrendering ahead of Friday deadline
San Francisco Archdiocese files for bankruptcy in the face of sexual abuse lawsuits
Dominican Republic shutters schools and offices ahead of Tropical Storm Franklin
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
SEC conference preview: Georgia has company with Alabama, LSU Tennessee in chase
University of Houston Basketball Alum Reggie Chaney Dead at 23
Charity Lawson Isn't the Only One With a Rosy Future—Check In With the Rest of Bachelor Nation