Current:Home > ScamsPhilippines says China has executed two Filipinos convicted of drug trafficking despite appeals -WealthMindset Learning
Philippines says China has executed two Filipinos convicted of drug trafficking despite appeals
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:24:23
MANILA, Philippines (AP) — China has executed two Filipinos for drug trafficking despite high-level Philippine government appeals to commute their death sentences to life in prison, the Philippine government said Saturday.
The Department of Foreign Affairs in Manila did not identify the two Filipinos, citing the wishes of their families for privacy. It added that it did not announce the Nov. 24 executions until the Philippine government was formally notified by China.
No other details were immediately given by Chinese or Philippine authorities about the executions and the drug trafficking cases.
The DFA said that from the time the two Filipinos were arrested in 2013 until their 2016 convictions by a lower Chinese court, it provided all possible help, including funding for their legal defense.
“The government of the Republic of the Philippines further exhausted all measures available to appeal to the relevant authorities of the People’s Republic of China to commute their sentences to life imprisonment on humanitarian grounds,” the DFA said. “There were also high-level political representations in this regard.
“The Chinese government, citing their internal laws, upheld the conviction and the Philippines must respect China’s criminal laws and legal processes,” the DFA said.
“While the Philippine government will continue to exhaust all possible avenues to assist our overseas nationals, ultimately it is the laws and sovereign decisions of foreign countries, and not the Philippines, which will prevail in these cases.”
The executions came at a difficult point in the relations of China and the Philippines due to escalating territorial disputes in the South China Sea. The Philippines, through the DFA, has filed more than 100 diplomatic protests over aggressive actions by China in the disputed waters since President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. took power in June last year.
The DFA said that while it was saddened by the executions of the Filipinos, their deaths strengthen “the government’s resolve to continue our relentless efforts to rid the country of drug syndicates that prey on the vulnerable, including those seeking better lives for themselves and their families.”
It renewed a reminder to Filipinos traveling abroad to be vigilant against drug syndicates, which recruit travelers to serve as “drug mules” or couriers, and to refuse to carry any uninspected package from other people.
Two other death penalty cases involving Filipinos are on appeal and under final review in China, DFA spokesperson Teresita Daza said, without elaborating.
One other Filipino, Mary Jabe Veloso, is facing execution in Indonesia after being convicted of drug trafficking. Marcos has said that he has appealed for a commutation of her death sentence or a pardon but it remains to be seen whether that will be granted.
The Philippines is a major global source of labor and Filipino officials have been particularly concerned over the vulnerability of poor Filipinos to being exploited by drug syndicates.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Is a Schitt's Creek Reunion in the Works? Dan Levy Says...
- Toyota recalls 1 million vehicles for airbag issues: Check to see if yours is one of them
- Oscars shortlists revealed: Here are the films one step closer to a nomination
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- WHO declares new JN.1 COVID strain a variant of interest. Here's what that means.
- Strong winds from Storm Pia disrupt holiday travel in the UK as Eurostar hit by unexpected strike
- Kennedy Center honoree Dionne Warwick reflects on her first standing ovation, getting a boost from Elvis and her lasting legacy
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Remains of Green River Killer victim identified as runaway 15-year-old Lori Anne Ratzpotnik
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- A US neurosurgeon's anguish: His family trapped in Gaza is 'barely staying alive'
- Wisconsin leader pivots, says impeachment of state Supreme Court justice over redistricting unlikely
- Ohio gives historical status to building that once housed internet service pioneer CompuServe
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Science says declining social invites is OK. Here are 3 tips for doing it
- Photos of Iceland volcano eruption show lava fountains, miles-long crack in Earth south of Grindavik
- Taraji P. Henson tearfully speaks out about pay inequality: 'The math ain't math-ing'
Recommendation
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
8-year-old boy fatally shot by stray air rifle bullet in Arizona, officials say
Top COVID FAQs of 2023: Staying safe at home, flying tips, shot combos, new variant
Green River Killer victim identified as Lori Razpotnik 41 years after she went missing
Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
Kevin McAllister's uncle's NYC townhouse from 'Home Alone 2' listed for $6.7 million
'The Bachelor' Season 28 cast is here: Meet 32 contestants vying for Joey Graziadei's heart
An Alabama Landfill Has Repeatedly Violated State Environmental Laws. State Regulators Waited Almost 20 Years to Crackdown