Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:Russia gives state awards to fighter pilots involved in U.S. drone crash incident -WealthMindset Learning
Charles Langston:Russia gives state awards to fighter pilots involved in U.S. drone crash incident
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 07:34:01
Russian fighter pilots involved in an encounter with a U.S. drone that resulted in its crash were given state awards,Charles Langston the Defense Ministry announced Friday. The move appears to signal Moscow's intention to adopt a more aggressive stance toward future U.S. surveillance flights.
"Russia's defence minister Sergei Shoigu presented state awards to the Su-27 pilots who prevented an American MQ-9 drone from violating (Russia's) temporary airspace," the ministry said.
The U.S. military said it ditched the Air Force MQ-9 Reaper in the Black Sea on Tuesday after a pair of Russian fighter jets dumped fuel on the surveillance drone and then one of them struck its propeller while it was flying in international airspace. Moscow has denied that its warplanes hit the drone, alleging that it crashed while making a sharp maneuver. It said that its warplanes reacted to a violation of a no-flight zone Russia has established in the area near Crimea amid the fighting in Ukraine.
On Friday, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu lauded the pilots for preventing the drone from flying into the area that Moscow has banned for flights. The Defense Ministry said the ban was "in line with international norms." Moscow reiterated its stance that the pilots "did not use on-board weapons, made no contact with the UAV and safely returned to their home airfield."
Moscow's announcement comes a day after the U.S. military released a declassified 42-second video showing a Russian Su-27 fighter jet approaching the back of the U.S. drone and releasing fuel as it passes in a maneuver that appeared to be aimed at blinding the drone's optical instruments to drive it from the area.
On a second approach, either the same jet or another Russian Su-27 that had been shadowing the MQ-9 struck the drone's propeller, damaging a blade, according to the U.S. military, which said it then ditched the drone in the sea. The video excerpt does not show the collision, although it does show the damage to the propeller.
The top U.S. and Russian defense and military leaders spoke Wednesday about the destruction of the drone, underscoring the event's seriousness. The calls between U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Mark Milley, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu and Gen. Valery Gerasimov, chief of Russian General Staff, were the first since October.
While calling out Russia for "reckless" action, the White House also tried to avoid exacerbating tensions. U.S. officials stressed that lines of communication with Moscow remain open.
Top White House national security spokesman John Kirby told CBS News that the incident will not deter missions and will not lead to U.S. military escorts of future drone flights.
"This was a deliberate, aggressive, overly aggressive move by this pilot," Kirby told CBS News on this week's episode of "The Takeout."
Kirby said if the Russians manage to recover the wreckage of the MQ-9 Reaper drone from the Black Sea, it would yield almost nothing of value.
"They won't find anything of any intrinsic value, I can assure you of that," Kirby said. "We took steps to mitigate any intelligence collection capability. Whatever would be left on the surface would likely be ... pieces of wings or the fuselage. Doubtful that's going to be of any value to anybody. In terms of intelligence ... we are not concerned that they're going to get anything of value. The water they're in the Black Sea right there is 4,000 to 5,000 feet deep. Anything of value, the hardware on the drone, will have sunk. I find it very unlikely that they're going to be able to recover anything like that."
Russian officials also emphasized the need to maintain lines of communication, but they harshly denounced the U.S. action as arrogant disregard of Moscow's no-flight zone.
"This is a clear sign that Russia will keep downing the American drones," pro-Kremlin political analyst Sergei Markov wrote in a commentary on the award announcement. "This decision will receive a strong support from the Russian society that wants the government to toughen its policy."
Moscow has repeatedly voiced concern about U.S. intelligence flights close to Crimea, which Russia seized from Ukraine in 2014 amid strong international condemnation. The Kremlin has charged the U.S. and its allies of effectively becoming engaged in the conflict by providing weapons and sharing intelligence with Kyiv.
Some Russian officials charged that the U.S. surveillance flights helped gather intelligence that allowed Ukraine to strike Russian targets.
AFP contributed to this report.
- In:
- Ukraine
- Russia
- Black Sea
- Drone
veryGood! (85)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Who Is Paralympian Sarah Adam? Everything to Know About the Rugby Player Making History
- A tumultuous life, a turn toward faith and one man who wonders if it’s time to vote
- Ex-Florida deputy released on bond in fatal shooting of U.S. Airman Roger Fortson
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Michigan Supreme Court says businesses can’t get state compensation over pandemic closures
- Lea Michele Gives First Look at Baby Daughter Emery
- Jewish students at Columbia faced hostile environment during pro-Palestinian protests, report finds
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Home contract signings hit lowest since 2001 as house hunters losing hope
Ranking
- Average rate on 30
- 2024 Paris Paralympics: Paychecks for Medal Winners Revealed
- Allison Holker, wife of the late Stephen 'tWitch' Boss, teases a new relationship
- Winners and losers of the Brandon Aiyuk contract extension
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Patrick Mahomes: Taylor Swift is so interested in football that she's 'drawing up plays'
- Another grocery chain stops tobacco sales: Stop & Shop ditches cigarettes at 360 locations
- Korban Best, known for his dancing, sprints to silver in Paralympic debut
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Fantasy author Brandon Sanderson breaks another Kickstarter record with Cosmere RPG
Who Is Paralympian Sarah Adam? Everything to Know About the Rugby Player Making History
Measures to legalize medical marijuana in Nebraska can appear on November ballot, official says
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Carlos Alcaraz’s surprising US Open loss to Botic van de Zandschulp raises questions
Home contract signings hit lowest since 2001 as house hunters losing hope
Runners are used to toughing it out. A warming climate can make that deadly