Current:Home > ContactIndexbit-Colombian judge orders prison for 2 suspects in the kidnapping of parents of Liverpool soccer player -WealthMindset Learning
Indexbit-Colombian judge orders prison for 2 suspects in the kidnapping of parents of Liverpool soccer player
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 10:54:48
BOGOTA,Indexbit Colombia (AP) — Two suspects in the kidnapping of the parents of Liverpool soccer player Luis Díaz were ordered sent to prison by a judge, Colombia’s Prosecutor’s Office said Wednesday, accusing one of the men of being the link to a person close to the family who provided information about the victims.
Andrés Alcires Bolívar and Marlon Rafael Brito are also accused of maintaining contacts with members of the National Liberation Army, or ELN, in the planning and execution of the Oct. 28 abductions in Barrancas, a town in La Guajira in Colombia’s northeast of Colombia.
Díaz’s parents - Luis Manuel Díaz Jiménez and Cilenis Marulanda — were kidnapped by a unit of the ELN at a gas station by armed men on motorcycles.
Marulanda was rescued by police a few hours later, but Díaz’s father was held captive for 12 days by the ELN. The father was released on Nov. 9 near the Serranía del Perijá, bordering Venezuela, where facilitators from the Catholic Church and the United Nations had flown by helicopter.
Prosecutors said in a statement that Alcires Bolivar was a merchant in La Guajira who had been contacted by a member of the ELN to help him kidnap Díaz’s parents. He allegedly went to Barrancas to convince “a person who was close to the Díaz family” to participate in the kidnapping and to learn about the victims’ routines.
Rafael Brito allegedly helped in the logistics of the kidnapping, including planning the deception under which Díaz Jiménez and Marulanda were abducted at the gas station. Prosecutors say the soccer player’s parents went there to fulfill a promise of support for the candidacy of a relative who was running for the Barrancas Council.
The two men have denied involvement in the kidnapping and other charges.
Díaz plays from the English club Liverpool and Colombia’s national soccer team.
After the kidnapping, special forces were deployed to search for Díaz’s father in a mountain range that straddles Colombia and Venezuela. Police also offered a $48,000 reward for information that led to him.
The ELN acknowledged the kidnapping, saying it was a mistake and that its top leadership had ordered the father’s release.
Diaz’s parents were taken amid peace negotiations between Colombia’s government and the guerrilla group.
veryGood! (34)
Related
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- NFL Kickoff record 28.9 million viewers watch Kansas City hold off Baltimore
- You Have 1 Day To Get 50% Off the Viral Peter Thomas Roth Firmx Exfoliating Peeling Gel & More Ulta Deals
- Election 2024 Latest: Trump heads to North Carolina, Harris campaign says it raised $361M
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Police have upped their use of Maine’s ‘yellow flag’ law since the state’s deadliest mass shooting
- Taylor Swift Leaves No Blank Spaces in Her Reaction to Travis Kelce’s Team Win
- You Have 1 Day To Get 50% Off the Viral Peter Thomas Roth Firmx Exfoliating Peeling Gel & More Ulta Deals
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch collabs with Hormel's Black Label in sweet and salty bacon launch
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Residents in a Louisiana city devastated by 2020 hurricanes are still far from recovery
- Jannik Sinner advances to US Open final as Jack Draper vomits, battles heat
- California governor vetoes bill to make immigrants without legal status eligible for home loans
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Nigerian brothers get 17 years for sextortion that led to Michigan teen's death
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Green Peas
- 'The Bachelorette' boasted an empowered Asian American lead — then tore her down
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
'Words do not exist': Babysitter charged in torture death of 6-year-old California boy
Here’s What Leah Remini and Angelo Pagán Are Seeking in Their Divorce
Forced to choose how to die, South Carolina inmate lets lawyer pick lethal injection
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
A body in an open casket in a suburban Detroit park prompts calls to police
Appeals court upholds conviction of former Capitol police officer who tried to help rioter
New Hampshire GOP House candidates debate restoring trust in Congress